The real and valuable Pearl – CulturedFor centuries, the symbol of beauty and purity are the pearls. Although it is not a true mineral, pearls are still considered gemstones for they are composite of the mineral Aragonite and the organic protein compound conchiolin. The combination results to nacre, or mother-of-pearl. Nacre forms as the shell’s inner lining in the pearl oysters and freshwater pearl mussels. In the present day market, pearls are either natural pearls or cultured pearls.
Natural versus cultured pearlsOyster farmers plant a nucleus consisting of mussel shell into an oyster and making the mussel form a pearl around this irritant. Cultured pearls are designed by pearl farmers from the beginning to harvest ensuring they shaped perfectly and very luminous. Right after harvest, the pearls are rinsed and some are bleached prior to be transformed into jewelry.
History of cultured pearlsIn 1902, Tatsuhei Mise and Dr. Nishikawa, in different places implanted thousands of mollusks with lead and silver nuclei and two years later harvested tiny round cultured pearls. The two processes followed the same procedures and it was called the method of Mise-Nishikawa. At the same time, Kokichi Mikimoto was busy with his seeding experiments and preferred using mother of pearl beads as the best nuclei for akoya oysters. In 1916, he started using the Mise-Nishikawa method and it is now known as Mikimoto’s techniques that produced large harvests of pearls far faster than nature. Pearls had at last become affordable.
Why are natural pearls more expensive than cultured pearls?Natural pearls have stiffer prices compared with cultured pearls. One might argue that natural pearls are rare, uncommon and irreplaceable as it is formed by nature. Cultured pearl results from irritant placed inside the mussel’s body as protective mechanism. So cultured pearls grow abundantly and are reaped faster. In its natural process, it takes at least seven years to grow a pearl. Mikimoto started farming cultured pearls in the late 1800s; He wanted to sell these gorgeous pearls at a cheaper price.
Benefits of wearing Pearl
- Health benefits include prevention or treatment of: asthma, bronchitis, cancer, cold, colic pains, constipation, cough, epilepsy, eye ailments, heart problems, hysteria and insomnia.
- Health benefits include prevention or treatment of: intestinal pains, lunacy, nervous debility, paralysis, peritonitis, T. B., tumors, typhoid, uterine problem, and varicose veins,
- Pearl is very useful for ladies as it increases their beauty, facial luster and memory.
- It inspires love and faith between the two partners. It develops good harmony between husband and wife.
- Gem pearls benefit any business associated with arts, beverages, exports & imports, flowers, medicinal oils, medicines, milk, oil, perfumes, ship building singing, stationary, swimming, water sport and vegetables.
- People whose work is associated with aqua culture, computer, dance, film production, finance, geography, hotel, jewelry, manufacturing, make-up, music, natural landscape, philosophy and research earn benefits from wearing pearl gem.